Monday, March 3, 2008

A Little Masterpiece

Everyone who knows me knows that I am crazy about films. I love them, specially those in black and white. Black and white is really, really charming and the treatment of light is usually so wonderful. There are some classic movies, however, for which the colour supposed a real advantage. In those years where black and white and colour used to coexist the decision wasn't easy and some factors were really important. For example, during the making of "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" they decided to change for colour because both Paul Newman and Elizabeth Taylor have very beutiful eyes, and it would have been an unforgivable loss not to capture their beauty in the film. Obviously, I will be able to provide examples and speak about films until very late and unfortunately I cannot afford it right now.

Being a Spanyard and a filmloving guy an obvious question will arise: do I like Spanish movies? I am afraid that generally speaking I do not. I will not deny that there are some good films, and that some actors and directors deserved to be regarded as artists. You may imagine that this is not a very patrotic statement, but I do not care, I just look for quality and I do not mind if have to go to far away to find it. I love japanesse films for example, although sometimes they are too long and the rhythm is too slow. But this cultural differences become thrilling and boost my natural taste to explore.

Nevertheless, the purpose of my post today is comment a short film from a Spanish director, Victor Erice, because this time I have found a little shining masterpiece and I am proud to say that it is a Spanish one. His film is part of a common project with other internationally relevant directors that together decided to honour the memory of a Russian shor film called Ten Minutes Older. Erice's film is called Childbirth (Alumbramiento in Spanish) and it also lasts ten minutes. It takes places in a small village in Asturias (north of Spain) after the Civil War that tore appart my country in the 30's. The film reflects everyday life in this small village and the "rebirth" of the child of one important citizen at that place. There's no much dialogue, so you will not find any problems to follow the outline. Only the fascinating power of the image and the magnificent setting based in how people lived in the 40's will lead you. Besides it was filmed in black and white, and as I have stated before that's something I cannot resist.

Here I leave you the masterpeace, enjoy it. thanks be to almighty YouTube.

2 comments:

j_ticca said...

I always liked spanish movies. They have some specific note for describing diferent lives and people.
One of the first movies I saw was "Open your eyes" that was later, for no obvious reason remaked by americans into "Vanila sky"(and of course point was destroued). I also saw a lot of Almodovars movies and they are all diffrent and new.

Iruma said...

I've not only enjoyed it... I've loved it!!